Friday, October 5, 2012

Waiting on C

It's currently 4:45 am and I've been awake for the last hour. Actually, I've been having a tough time going to sleep at all and waking up in 3-4 hour intervals. This has happened a couple of times over the last 9 months, but since Monday night it's become the new normal. When I wake up, I'm WIDE awake. I'll lay there for a while, but have found it's best to get up, get a snack, and find something to do for a bit until I can fall back asleep. I usually find something on t.v. or peruse Pinterest, but this morning I have made a grocery list and now I'm blogging! I know that in just a few short days this new schedule will come in handy and "finding something to do" will be replaced by feeding/caring for my new love.  

It's amazing to me how your body knows what is about to happen and starts preparing for it. I have been fortunate enough to have mostly uninterrupted sleep over the course of the pregnancy. Like I said, this waking up thing just started this week. I know many women deal with sleep loss much earlier in the pregnancy and I'm thankful that I have had full nights of sleep 90% of the time. I'm also thankful that about the time that my new sleep schedule took over, I started working from home exclusively. As of Oct 1 I have been cleared to work from home every day until Caroline makes her entry into the world.  This has proved to be extremely helpful for both parties. I get a lot done from home with calls and emails and can spend time getting everything in order for someone else to handle my workload for the next 10-12 weeks. For me, it means being able to take it easy each day and even lie down for a bit if needed which is helpful when I'm running on a lot less sleep. Work slowing down means a lot less stress and working an 8 hour day instead of a 10-12 like I'm guilty of putting in with my travel schedule. I'm so thankful I have this flexibility!
Gus and I napping- this happens several times a day lately :)

I am 38 weeks pregnant. I can still remember finding out I was pregnant on Valentines Day this year. That seems like SO long ago! I remember thinking this day would never come and now we are literally in the daily countdown until our baby girl arrives. I'm getting a little anxious to meet Caroline and get the show on the road, but overall I am enjoying the quiet and relaxing that I know will be replaced with an increase in stress and activity once she arrives. I'm trying to remember that our lives are about to be forever changed and that while that is extremely exciting, we literally only have a few days left of "just" Adam and I. I want to soak up every moment... and we've been doing just that!

We finished the nursery last weekend. FINISHED. I consider this a huge accomplish since I'm really bad about starting a project and not quite finishing. We are only awaiting a monogram that I ordered from Etsy for above the crib and then I will share pictures. We've also worked hard on getting the house clean and organized inside and out. Adam worked hard on the yard over the last couple of weeks, I got the front porch set up with a beautiful "fall scene," and we cleaned out the garage. As for the inside, I got a little extra help by hiring someone to do some deep cleaning. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that, but I want to document it so I'll remember one day. It was money well spent and freed Adam and I up to do some other things as well as just spend some quality time together. We've been going on lots of walks, cooking at home (rarity, ha!), going to our Bible Studies, and Adam has been playing softball with some guys. The weather is getting cooler (it's supposed to be in the 50's today and we're expecting the first freeze on Sunday night!)
Lee has helped out a lot to help us get ready for C. Last weekend he helped Ryan and Adam install the dimmer for her room.
Gus enjoying the nursery
I came in to check out the new shelves that Adam and Lee were supposed to be hanging to find they had Gus in the infant carrier.Gus loved it and it was hilarious!

I did go to the ER on Tuesday of this week. Everything was completely fine, and I figured it was, but I was concerned that the baby was moving differently than she had been and I felt like I might be having contractions. As I suspected, everything was completely fine. I got to hear her sweet heartbeat for about an hour assuring me everything was just fine. I wasn't having contractions, but was dehydrated which was causing some uterine "spasms." As for the movement, I think sweet girl is just out of room and the slightest movement is very detectable and forceful. I felt kind of silly going to the ER, but it was going to be a whole week before I went back to the doctor and I knew I would drive myself crazy thinking something was wrong. Overall, I'm glad I went and got the peace of mind that I wanted.

My prediction is Caroline will come on the 14th. I don't think she's in any big hurry to get out, but at the same time I can't imagine her staying until the 18th! She feels huge inside of me and I can feel my body changing to accommodate her arrival... sleep schedule, hip flexor pain, low back pain, general discomfort, etc. We shall see how my prediction pans out. The 14th would be neat since that was my late grandfather's birthday.  Either way, we are ready for Caroline to come when she is ready. The bags are packed, the car loaded, nursery ready, and a mom and dad that are ready to love on this precious gift.
Happy Fall Y'all! Now... I'm hopefully headed back to bed for a while! 

1 comment:

  1. Love this update Heather. Carolina is a beautiful name!