Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Operation Engagement Jeans

So... I did Weight Watchers in college and lost about 22 pounds. (This was about the same amount I gained during my freshman and sophomore years, yikes!)  I loved doing Weight Watchers and found it realistic to follow. I also became an avid runner and ran 3 miles, 3 days a week.
This was right before my birthday my senior year of college.

This picture was at my engagement party that my sweet sorority sisters surprised me with. I post to reminisce about the jeans that I have on in this picture. I don't think that I could even wear these jeans on my arms today. Ha!

After we became engaged I made it my goal to have really toned back and arms for my wedding day. I actually stopped running and instead walked 4 days a week on a treadmill at a 7% incline. I burned more calories than running and my legs became less bulky and more toned.  I started lifting 5 lb weights 3 days a week and just did about 4 different exercises with lots of reps of each. I lost another 10 pounds between getting engaged in April and getting married in January.

Mission accomplished! I was in great shape on my wedding day... the best I've ever been in. Sure, there is that pressure to look your best, but honestly I ate what I wanted for the most part but I exercised a LOT. So what happened?? Two things. 1) I married the most wonderful person on the planet. I wanted to cook yummy meals for him including our favorite dishes- crescent chicken and chocolate chip cake on a regular basis. 2) I stopped exercising. 2 years later, my wedding dress won't zip by almost 2 inches!!! (I tried in on for fun after the Christmas holidays, an excellent time to try it on, right?)
So, I write all of this to document my 2011 goal to work to becoming in shape again. I have a goal weight in mind, but ultimately I just want to feel energized and be HEALTHY. We think we might want to start our family in the next year or so, and I know pregnancy will be so much more enjoyable if I am in shape first.  I started Weight Watchers 2 weeks ago. Since I have experience with it and know it works, I hope that will remind me that I CAN do this since I did it before.

My only hang up is Weight Watchers has changed! They have revamped the entire system that now only calculates points by taking the fat, carbs, protein, and fiber from the food. Before, calories played a huge part and carbs did not. Calories don't play in any more. I realize that this is probably a healthier way to "diet," but I am skeptical. The #1 rule about dieting is CALORIES IN< CALORIES OUT= WEIGHT LOSS
Also, the point values are higher now. It seems harder to stay under the allotted number of points because things are so high in points.  For example:

Yesterday I ate lunch at Panera and had 1/2 veggie sandwich and 1/2 black bean soup. The sandwich was 8 points and the soup was 5! Together they were 13 points! With only 29 points in a day, this consumed nearly half of my points in one meal! This was as many points that I would have used at the Mexican restaurant to enjoy a delicious enchilada and some chips and salsa! I have definitely learned that you have to be VERY careful at places like Panera. You would not believe the unhealthiness of most of their menu. Many of their meals are laden with calories and fat. Even the veggie black bean soup had more fat calories than I would have expected.

I did lose 3 pounds last week. I have chose to write about this not so the 2 of you will read it (ha!) but so I can create some accountability for myself. Lucky for me, 2 of my friends are also doing Weight Watchers online (FYI you can join for free right now) and 2 of my other friends and I have formed a "running club" where we try to run together 2-3 times per week.

Weight is a number. It's also something that most women and a lot of men stress about. The truth is, I just want to be healthy and feel good about the way I look in my clothes. I am never going to be a size 4, but I am motivated to be back in those jeans I wore on April 18th when Adam Fite asked me to be his wife! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment